Saving the Koala, or any animal or ecosystem begins with each individual person. Everyone, no matter how small, can do something to help. If each person did even one little thing, like encouraging their family to recycle or to save water or electricity, it would add up to a lot of help for the environment. And saving Koalas begins with simple actions like these. Did you know that there are over 7 BILLION people in the world? Imagine if they each decided to help the environment in even the tiniest way, that would be 7 billion little bits of help for the environment!
Here's some ways that you can help save the Koala:
Support the Koala Protection Act
...by joining the Koala Army
What does it mean to join the Koala Army?
"To have the Australian Government enact a KOALA PROTECTION ACT".
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to join us in making sure our government is serious about protecting our environment. Visit the enlist page to find out more, read the story of the Koala Army, and stay up to date on current campaigns and strategies by visiting the Battleplan and reading Urban's Diary.
Support the Australian Koala Foundation
What you can do if you live in a Koala area
- Plant Koala food trees. Don’t forget out find out which kinds of gum trees are the favourites of Koalas in your area. More information about Koala food trees.
- When out driving, ask your parents and friends to be very careful not to hit wildlife crossing roads, especially at night. Remember, Koalas are most active at night.
- Keep your dogs your cats inside at night, to protect all wildlife. More information about Koalas and dogs, and about how to keep your cat from harming wildlife.
- If you have a swimming pool, place a sturdy rope into the pool attached to a tree or post at the edge, so that if Koalas fall into your pool, they are able to climb out safely.
- Support community Koala groups in your area.
- Spotted a Koala in your area? Add your sighting on Koalamap.